MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garageband & Ilife, Recording with GarageBand...
angryman
post Mon 17 Jan 2005, 14:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,084

Hi there.

I have seen on Apple.com that you can now get iLife '05 including GarageBand for £50!

Now, I use Reason 2.5 but I want a simple audio recording package to compliment my Reason and Live set-up so that I can record little bass lines and guitar riffs and the odd mix (I is a DJ as well init!)

I have 2 questions:

Firstly has anyone out there used GarageBand and is it any good for the above uses (for £50 I'm not expecting Logic quality but is it worth the cash)

Second, and most important: do I need an audio interface or can I use the line in on my G4?

Any help advice would be appretiated...

Thanks,

Angryman

www.angryman.4t.com
www.download.com/arolamorre

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ryangallagher
post Mon 17 Jan 2005, 17:26
Post #2

Member No.: 55,710

Seems that Garageband 2 has most of the features from logicexpress 7 and some additional ones (tunning fix is one i think), although it does have less effects and software instruments.

I've been debating whether to get iLife '05 or logicexpress 7, Logic seems to have a bit more flexibility when it comes to comtroling your mix/track (tempo/time sig/effects levels/ pan etc).

Basically for 50 quid you get a VERY easy to use package that is fairly comprihensive in features for a 'basic' programme.

Not too sure about the line in, although the default input for iBook is the built in mic, hence to record instruments an audio device is needed, if you're using the line in for other software i don't see it being a problem.

Ryan

+Quote Post
cushy
post Tue 18 Jan 2005, 15:24
Post #3

Member No.: 56,348

My birthday is coming up, and i've already asked my wife for iLife 05. 3 reasons, iDVD 2, iMovie 2 (with HD support), but mostly, Garageband 2. All that and more for $79!

I currently use protools LE for my big projects, but i do almost all of my "rough drafts" on Garage band. It is an incredible tool for assembling ideas, and mapping out demos. You can patch your usb line in (whatever it is you use), using the soundflower back door. Most people use this for ipodding audio blogs and such.

My advice, get iLife 05. You'll need one of the other applications at some point anyways.

+Quote Post
The Guitar God
post Tue 18 Jan 2005, 18:16
Post #4

Member No.: 54,891

i already have the old iLife with garageband 1.2 so is it worth buying iLife 05? huh.gif

+Quote Post
cushy
post Mon 24 Jan 2005, 16:26
Post #5

I use Protools LE for my main stuff and I never really got into Garageband, until one day I started messing with it.

It is awesome! So worth having! It allows me to crank out ideas, mixes, and fun stuff. If you you were a painter, and Protools or Reason is the canvas, Garageband would be your sketchbook. It is quick and easy, I use it for the preliminary work on all of my projects.

Garageband 2 will allow in/out through the line in or an interface.

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Fri 28 Jan 2005, 00:39
Post #6

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

It's worth having, I picked it up last night, seems to be easier on the CPU. I'm now able to play the G5 demos, on my 1GHz Powerbook.

You can also lock tracks to free up CPU, works like Freeze in Logic, it renders the track to audio, and takes the cpu load off.

It now does notation, and allows me to use up to 8 channels on my MOTU 828 for recording.

It was worth it for me.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
beltunabob
post Fri 28 Jan 2005, 17:05
Post #7

Member No.: 40,076

Garageband has a notation feature?
alexrat

+Quote Post
cushy
post Fri 28 Jan 2005, 17:35
Post #8

garageband 2 only.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 03:45
- © MacMusic 1997-2008