MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> powered plug-ins, the delay issue !
damann
post Sun 16 Jun 2002, 06:26
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,044

i recently bought a universal audio uad1 pci card. i was shocked to find out that when using this card or the tc powercore, every time you use one of it's plugs, a delay occurs!
these guys don't advertise this fact (surprise).
yes, the plugs sound GREAT, but a delay equal to the size of your audio buffer kicks in. the only way to compensate for this delay is to bus all unaffected tracks to a return and using a 'delay compensator' plug to effectively delay all other tracks to the same degree!
in a mixdown situation where you've made final decisions about all elements of your song and bounced them down as audio tracks this isn't too much of a problem, but whilst you're still working on a song this situation is pretty unbearable.
does anybody have similar experience/help for me here, or more importantly, does anybody have news/knowledge about the future of this unique problem?
there are other issues that i won't discuss yet, but i'm really hoping that this fundamental problem has some kind of solution. r.s.v.p.

--------------------
one for all and all for one...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 16 Jun 2002, 07:27
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I don't remember such issues on my readings about the powercore…

I'll go investigate on SOS after some sleeeeeeeep wink.gif

A slight latency yes, an annying one… d*amn

(personnaly, I would have chosen the TC one, but it's a free country wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
damann
post Sun 16 Jun 2002, 08:42
Post #3

Advanced Member

i can't remember if i read it in sos or audiomedia (probably sos) but i'm sure the problem does exist with the powercore card!
also, i have to say that the ua card is the best of the 2, check their website uaudio.com for some major facts, they make it very clear what makes their card better and they make some great comparisons between tc, bomb factory and pro tools with themselves.
universal audio are the siblings of bill putnam, the inventor of the 1176 compressor amongst other things, the sonic integrity of this card is incredible, it represents the 'old school' of audio processors where the tc card is obviously the 'new school', i don't want to live without tc's technology but, that 'old school' sound remains the most desirable 'x' factor available.
on the subject of dp, have you tried altiverb yet? i've heard great things about it!!!
peace...

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 16 Jun 2002, 09:46
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

You won't make me dream with a UREI, I've got a Publison wink.gif

And the killing argument: I don't have a spare PCI port free…

And for me old school is definetly racks racks racks smile.gif and I'm working for an analog company.

wink.gif

(have better ideas, you'll need less treatment)

arf arf arf

anyway… I'll look upon that, now SLEEEEEEEEEEEEP

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 17 Jun 2002, 01:28
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

I had a fast look on the Paul White article… nothing on latency…

If you want you can read it too it's in free access, to see if he missed something. (or me…)

And as I have my ideas a bit clearer than this morning… take commercial technical babling with a 10 foot pole. It helps smile.gif

(and there's no DSP in a 1176, black face or not wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
damann
post Mon 17 Jun 2002, 02:54
Post #6

Advanced Member

o.k, i read this, amongst other things in the sos forums. please refer to my original post on this issue, it's help that i'm looking for!
also, is the publison a compressor? are you really suggesting that the worlds greatest recording engineers don't know what they're talking about?

Powercore
I running powercore with Logic 4.7.3 on a G4 400. I can get the full quota of plugins up. say 8 at a time i think!! I havent upgraded my drivers to 1.6 yet and the latency issue is an %%**!!!''er!! Does 1.6 sort out that problem? Its alrite with the Compensator plugin but if you wanna play any thing over the top you cant!! I have to say the quality of the proce3ssing makes up for all the crap you have to deal with!!

re this guys post, can i just say that the uad1 gives me about 4 times as many plugs as he's getting from his powercore, there is a very good reason for this. uaudio.com will explain for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 17 Jun 2002, 04:03
Post #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

The quality of a plug in comes from the sound it gives (i.e. the power it uses, but a badly written plugin will eat power for nothing too, so trust your ears not the f… press release -I don't say they lie but…). The AUd1 gives you 4 times more plugs are then, are they better, equal, less quality? That's the real question.

Treatment is about sound, not specs.

And please, leave audio engineers alone, some are lurking here, NOW wink.gif

If there's a new driver, you should give it a try… usually it is about better operation in the end they make them, right? wink.gif

The opinion I gave on the Powercore is a feature one, I'm more appealed into, third party available also, I know of the UAd1, but wasn't interested into. But I've not intended to buy one so haven't delve more than that. Give me a spare PCI and it could change smile.gif
So hte result: I've never used one and don't know HOW they sound, and at the moment I don't care.

On the latency issue, as latency is buffer corelated, have you diminished the buffers ? (core AND logic)
Or tried trick to delay the other parts for the whole to be on timing?

The Publison CL20-C is basically an UREI 1178 (know that thing?%) but with BASS wink.gif

(BTW, use more smileys, you're dreadfully serious smile.gif it's NOT a life or death question. Just a f… annoying problem, no one is dead already.)
(and please, I read all the posts, except when I'm way too sleepy, I'm a moderator so it's my duty, but I'm not omniscient so… %) and beware, an engineer might jump in %)

--------------------

+Quote Post
damann
post Mon 17 Jun 2002, 06:02
Post #8

Advanced Member

bring on the engineers, i happen to be one myself, 20 years experience.
currently using the latest drivers of course.
the delay 'trick' is known by both manufacturers as a delay compensator plugin, as i said.
i'm using the smallest buffer size for uad and logic.
why use a fake urie instead of the real thing?
why should a compressor need 'bass'? that's what eq's are for.
anyway, i'm getting bored now, off to some other forums...catch you later.
oh yeah, if they're so important, how do i use these emoticons then?

if love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
peace, later...

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 17 Jun 2002, 11:31
Post #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Last drivers
Buffers ready

seems desparate… Maybe OSX will help (one day…) but here, you need voodoo (but you know that already).

(1178 eat bass, and can't afford one anyway angry.gif
(For emotikons just write them wink.gif or use the link at the left in the writing window 'emoticons are enabled', you'll have all the codes)

respect

cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
damann
post Mon 17 Jun 2002, 17:52
Post #10

Advanced Member

thanks dude  smile.gif
now i get it !  cool.gif
sorry to have been so serious yesterday.  angry.gif
must be the uad and my girlfriend getting to me  wink.gif
peace, catch you later...   angry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 10 May 2024, 21:00
- © 440 Forums 2011